Very Vegan Vegetable Broth
One thing I learned really quickly when I started cooking for real 👩🍳 (like an actual grown-up and not making food from boxes), is that there are so many recipes that call for vegetable broth! Countless dishes need that added moisture or that extra flavor flave.
And, when I started buying that organic, low sodium, veggie broth, it was upwards of $4.30 per quart! One large pot of soup calls for about 4 quarts of broth, which means, if I bought enough for one pot of soup, just the liquid alone could cost almost 20 bucks! 😳 Isn’t soup supposed to be an economical dish where a little goes a long way? Sheesh!
💡 Enter a lightbulb moment…make my own low sodium, veggie broth!
There are so many benefits to making your own veg broth. There’s the perk of controlling your sodium levels. The store-bought broth has a lot of sodium and you have no idea what processing was involved to create it. Cooking your own takes the unknown out of the unknown! Oh, and have you noticed? The low-sodium, organic varieties actually cost more than the regular sodium, non-organic kind. So, get this… you are actually paying more for less! 🤔
I also love that you can make a little or a lot too, depending on your cooking habits. Making two big pots of broth for me is as easy as making one pot, and as long as I have room in my freezer, I can make enough broth in one hour to last me an entire month. And did I mention at the fraction of the cost!
The recipe below makes one big pot, is super simple and I encourage you to use it as more of a guide than a must-follow-or-it-will-taste-horrible kind of recipe.
I switch my ingredients up all the time, depending on what I have available. For instance, if you use red onions or white onions or yellow, no one will know and it will still taste great. Or, if you choose to use 2 carrots instead of 3 because that’s all you have and you are not running to the store for a single carrot! I get you! Be empowered to add more celery or leave out the sundried tomatoes…whatever works for YOU! Scroll below the nutrition facts to see a couple more pics of my very vegan veggie broth variations. 😁
This recipe is perfect for soups, stews and anything that calls for stock or broth. It will totally compliment your other ingredients and flavors, without overwhelming the dish. BTW, I use this broth for my Best Beans Ever recipe and my Spicy Ethiopian Lentil Stew and my Smoky, Spicy & Scrumptious Collard Greens, to name a few.
I would love to hear how this worked for you and the tweaks you used to make it your own!
Very Vegan Vegetable Broth
- 3 carrots - chop into large pieces
- 3 celery stalks & tops - chop into large pieces
- 2 onions - quartered
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 - 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes preferably not the kind in oil, but, if that's all you have then drain the oil first
- a sprinkle of Himalayan salt Any salt will work, this is just my favorite to cook with. Adjust for flavor and preference...remember, you don't want it to taste like salt!
- 1 gallon water
- Add all ingredients into a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer (medium heat). Simmer for 60-90 minutes.
- Let broth cool. Using a fine mesh colander, strain the liquid into storage containers. Use immediately, freeze for 6 months or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Use for soups and stews or add any dish that needs a little sumthin sumthin...
Note: Nutrition Facts on all recipes are an approximation only, using the Very Well Fit recipe nutrition calculator.
Certified Plant-Based Chef and Holistic Nutritionist veganizing the planet one meal at a time. Bringing fans vegan food, brand, travel & lifestyle news while offering clients personalized vegan chef services in the Tampa Bay area. For the health of it! View all posts by Jennifer