Best Beans Ever
So, there’s a little secret I learned in becoming a “good” plant-based vegan…always have go-to food, REAL FOOD, on hand, so you don’t reach for the convenience foods, which are just as bad as non-vegan convenience foods. I mean, you know as well as I know what those foods are…um, Oreos maybe?! (I could not believe they were vegan!)
So, to ensure we keep on track with healthy and nutritious plant-based meals, I ALWAYS try to have a big batch of these mouth-watering beans on hand.
Burritos, tacos, salads, bowls, wraps, or all by their lonesome…it doesn’t matter how you eat them. They are simply the best beans ever! And because the deliciousness is all in the way the beans are cooked and flavored, you can mix it up a bit and try black beans, pinto beans or red beans. Whatever floats your bean boat!
Oh and did I mentioned there are only 6 ingredients?!
Best Beans Ever
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion - diced
- 4 garlic cloves - finely diced
- 1/2 large jalapeno - finely diced
- 2 - 15.5 oz cans beans (red, black or pinto) - rinsed
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin adjust for taste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- salt & pepper (to taste) optional
- Dice and chop the onions, garlic, and jalapeno and create your mise en place (you know, the fancy chef word for having your *hit together and being all ready-like).
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated add a drizzle of EVOO (or don't) and then add the onions. Let the onions simmer over med-low - medium heat until they become translucent. About 8 minutes. Don't let them caramelize.
- Once onions look soft and translucent, add the garlic and jalapenos and a sprinkle of salt to enhance the flavors. Stir those bad boys together and let them simmer and play. If they are sticking to the bottom add just a touch of veg broth.
- When you smell the garlic and everything is nicely blended, add the cumin and coat all the veggies, stirring and turning for about 2 minutes. You want the cumin to really sink into that veg. Turn up the heat to medium-high.
- Add the beans. Stir the beans into the mixture and let the dish get nice and hot, but, not too hot! Add a little veg broth to deglaze the pan and turn the heat to low and simmer for about 6 - 8 min, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with a little salt & pepper. Add veg broth as needed, just to keep beans moist.
- Taste the beans for flavor and add cumin or s&p as desired. Serve these in burritos, tacos, on salads, over rice, or just store them in an airtight glass container until you are craving the Best Beans Ever.
Certified Plant-Based Chef and Holistic Nutritionist veganizing the planet one meal at a time. Bringing fans vegan food, brand, travel & lifestyle news while offering clients personalized vegan chef services in the Tampa Bay area. For the health of it! View all posts by Jennifer