Just Egg Vegan Frittata
I am going to cut right to the chase. I have been asked a dozen times or more to publish this recipe and I am finally doing it. My sister asked just yesterday about this dish, for an upcoming brunch she is hosting for her adult kids. When I started explaining how to make it, she said. “Will you just send the recipe” and I was like, “That’s it! I am finally going to sit down and type it up!”
Thus, my version of the Just Egg Frittata. This recipe can also be used to create mini quiches using a muffin pan (with silicon inserts).
Just Egg Vegan Frittata
- 1 non-stick 9" or 10" skillet/saute pan
- or muffin/cupcake pans This recipe yields 12 individual quiches. For easiest removal, use silicon muffin inserts.
- 1 Bottle Liquid Just Egg I find this in the egg section of my local grocer, near the egg white products. If you cannot find Liquid Just Egg, ask your grocer to special order it for you!
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast I use Braggs. You can use more or less based on your tastes.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tsp oregano
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder Use more or less based on personal tastes.
- 1-2 tsp onion powder Use more or less based on personal tastes.
- 1-2 tsp paprika Use more or less based on personal tastes.
- 1 tbsp oil I prefer extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup onion (small dice) I love white onions but any will work
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms optional (Use veggies you love).
- 1/2 cup red, yellow or green bell peppers (diced) I love using a combo of sweet and green
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1-2 handful(s) fresh baby spinach Add as much or as little baby spinach as you like. It will wilt down!
- 1 tomato (large dice)
- 1 cup vegan sausage (crumbled) optional - I love adding Beyond breakfast sausage or plant-based chorizo
- 1/4 cup scallions/green onions (sliced into small coins)
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese (shredded) optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375o F. In a small-medium mixing bowl, add the first 8 ingredients (Just Egg & nooch & spices) and whisk together. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat to saute the veggies and the plant-based sausage if using.Add the onions to the heated oil and saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the sausage (if using) and mushrooms and a pinch of salt and continue sauteeing for about 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and garlic and another pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to saute for about 5 minutes. Add a little water if the veggies stick.
- Once the sausage & veggies are cooked through, add the spinach and tomato and mix with the sauteed veggie & meat mixture until the spinach is wilted and the tomato is heated. Add the shredded cheese (if using) and the sliced scallions and mix until everything is combined.
- Remove the pan from the heat.Pour the seasoned Just Egg Liquid over the sauteed veggies & sausage so that the "egg" mixture, evenly covers the veggies. It's ok if a little veg or sausage is sticking out, but, you want to cover as much of the sauteed veggies as possible.Note: If you are using a muffin pan, spoon the veggie, sausage, cheese mixture evenly into the muffin cups. Then pour equal amounts of the seasoned Just Egg liquid into each muffin cup, just to cover the veg/sausage mixture in each cup.
- Cover the saute pan or muffin pan with tin foil and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the foil, turn the oven down and continue to bake at 350o F for about 20 minutes. Mini quiches may only take another 10-15 minutes so check them every so often.The frittata is done when the liquid has completely baked into the veggies and if you insert a toothpick it comes away clean.Mini quiches are done when you insert a toothpick and it comes away clean.Remove from the oven and let stand for about 5 minutes before removing the frittata from the pan or from the muffin cups.
- Garnish with fresh chives, green onions, or parsley and hot sauce.
Certified Plant-Based Chef and Holistic Nutritionist veganizing the planet one meal at a time. Bringing fans vegan food, brand, travel & lifestyle news while offering clients personalized vegan chef services in the Tampa Bay area. For the health of it! View all posts by Jennifer