Cheesy Sausage & Tater Tot Vegan Casserole
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I have used all of the products listed below and recommend them because they are helpful and are companies that I trust.
Are you ready to wow your non-vegan friends with an amazingly indulgent and comforting dish? This easy cheesy sausage and tater tot casserole is totally vegan and totally going to knock their socks off.
I first learned of this hearty casserole at the last Tamp Bay Veg Fest. David and I volunteered to hand out free Field Roast sausage samples at the event and right next to us our friends were sampling this delicious casserole. We didn’t even get a chance to try it because it was the first sampling to run out that day! All I kept hearing was, “Did you try that cheesy casserole?” 😋
After Googling the non-vegan version of this recipe, I simply switched it up a bit, to make it cruelty-free and completely delicious. It is also so simple to make, and although the branded ingredients can be a bit costly, I urge you to shop your local deals and find when these special ingredients go on sale, since this dish is THAT good!
For instance, my local grocer had Just Egg on sale for $1 off right before Christmas so I bought several bottles, knowing I would use them before they expired. Remember, when Vegan It Real, it’s all about the bargains.
My step-by-step directions with pictures below make this recipe foolproof and once you have tried it my way, I highly recommend switching it up and making it yours! Add some sauteed peppers and mushrooms or maybe try smoked paprika instead of sweet paprika, to give it a deep smoky flavor. Here’s an idea. Maybe add a touch of curry powder to the spice mix and take it to a whole new level!
Once you have the basics down, it’s all about how creative you can be. That’s my favorite part of cooking, making it my own! I can’t wait to hear what you think of this easy, cheesy comforting dish. 🤔😊
Cheesy Sausage & Tater Tot Vegan Casserole
- 9x13 casserole dish
- cookie sheet
- 1 - 1½ lb(s) frozen potato puffs (tater tots) Check the ingredients! Some tater tot type products contain milk. I get mine from Aldi!
- 1 pkg LightLife Gimme Lean Sausage (14 oz) Or any vegan sausage
- 1 sm onion - chopped Any kind will work. I use yellow or sweet.
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 2 cups dark greens - chopped I use kale and/or spinach mostly
- 8 oz Violife Cheddar Shreds Or any meltable vegan cheese. Follow Your Heart works well too, but, Violife is my fave!
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 /2 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp sea or pink salt
- 1 - 1½ containers Just Egg This product is expensive so if you don't want to spend $$ on 2 bottles of Just Egg, dilute one bottle with a little more milk (and whisk in a touch of flour).
- 1/4 cup nut milk
- Cook tater tots according to package directions. When tots are done baking remove and set the oven to 375°.
- While the tots are baking, saute onions and sausage in a pan over medium heat. While sausage and onions cook, combine the spices (garlic powder through salt) in a small bowl.
- Once the onions and sausage start to brown, add the chopped garlic and the chopped greens to the pan. Turn heat to low-medium. Let greens wilt down, stirring occasionally. Note - spinach will cook down much quicker than kale, so keep an eye on this. Remove from heat once cooked through.
- Wisk together Just Egg, milk and spices. Layer the cooked tater tots in the bottom of the casserole dish. Press down any that are creating a double layer. Sprinkle on just a little cheese. Next, add the sausage and greens mixture. Pour the Just Egg and spice mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese to cover everything.
- Cover the casserole with foil. Bake @ 375° for approximately 40-45 minutes. Check the casserole occasionally to see if the middle has set. The casserole should be cheesy but not wet or runny. Adjust time as needed. Bake uncovered the last 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and baby greens.
Certified Plant-Based Chef and Holistic Nutritionist veganizing the planet one meal at a time. Bringing fans vegan food, brand, travel & lifestyle news while offering clients personalized vegan chef services in the Tampa Bay area. For the health of it! View all posts by Jennifer