Twice Cooked Curry Noodle Stir Fry
Do you have a recipe that is your #1 go-to? It’s simple, it offers versatility and you could create the meal in your sleep?
Well, this stir fry is my go-to dish! I have been making some version of this recipe since receiving my first Wok cookbook back in the ’90s. Yes, that’s right, as in the 1990s! There was a recipe for a version of these twice cooked noodles that included cabbage and over the years I have adjusted it and tweaked it as my own.
Since I love veggies, I usually always add more (especially broccoli!) than a recipe calls for, so, if you want to adjust what you add to this dish, I encourage you to go for it! Change it up…use what fresh veg you have on hand or add more sambal for more heat…you know, whatever floats your boat.
Twice Cooked Noodle Stir Fry
- 2 tbsp peanut oil omit if NOSS; use water instead. Alternative oil: grapeseed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms white or baby bella work great!
- 1 small white or yellow onion
- 4 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- 1 cup fresh pea pods
- 1 cup shredded carrots I use a potato peeler for this shredding
- 16 oz. whole wheat pasta or brown rice pasta I like to use whole wheat spaghetti
Stir Fry Sauce**
- 6 tbsp organic low sodium tamari
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek use 1/2 tbsp for less spice
- 2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 2/3 cup cold water
- Cook noodles per instructions on the package. Set cooked noodles aside. (Optional: Steam broccoli & pea pods; set aside)
- While noodles are cooking, start the sauce. In a bowl, whisk together the cold water and cornstarch. Add tamari, curry, ginger, and sambal. Whisk together and set aside.
- Heat a wok or large stir fry pan over medium - medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, 1/3 of chopped garlic and 1/2 the cooked noodles. Fry the noodles, turning in the garlic and oil for about 3 minutes. Avoid scorching. Remove twice cooked noodles from the pan and repeat the same process with the remaining batch of noodles. Once fried, after 3 - 5 minutes, remove noodles from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the medium hot pan. Add the garlic and saute' for a couple of minutes; avoid burning. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until color forms. Whisk sauce and pour about 1/3 of sauce into the saute'. This will release flavor and de-glaze the pan. It will also help steam the veggies.
- Add the broccoli, the pea pods, and the carrots. Stir to combine thoroughly. And the noodles a little at a time until all noodles are thoroughly combined with veg. Whisk remaining sauce and pour over noodles. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and let sit for just a few minutes to let all the flavors develop.
Note: Nutrition Facts on all recipes are an approximation only, using the Very Well Fit recipe nutrition calculator.
Certified Plant-Based Chef and Holistic Nutritionist veganizing the planet one meal at a time. Bringing fans vegan food, brand, travel & lifestyle news while offering clients personalized vegan chef services in the Tampa Bay area. For the health of it! View all posts by Jennifer